This past Saturday we competed in the NCS Tri-Valley Championships at Foothill High School in Pleasanton. It was a day of disappointment and also a day happiness. The girls varsity finished third in the meet with 39 points, but had an opportunity to finish 2nd. The boys varsity finished 8th along with Los Lomas were the top 3A schools at the meet. Some individuals that we expected to advance, did not, while others exceeded our expectations. The heat was a factor for all teams. When it comes to the heat, it is not what you do the day of the meet, but what you did the three days before the meet.
- The amazing boys 4 x 100, qualified for MOC by running in lane seven of the first heat (the worst lane of the slowest heat) Not only did they have to win their heat, the had to run at least the 7th fastest time of the 22 teams entered to qualify. They won their heat and ran the 6th fastest time and a PR 43.54. The team was Jesse Iniguez-Stralla, Kaeziah Smith, Mitchell Smith and Jake Delaney.
- The girls 4 x 100 ran the second fastest time of the season with a 49.39, to finish 3rd. Why this is significant is that due to medical reasons (concussion symptoms) Muppy Gragg was not able to run, Mari Florine ran as the alternate, all four individuals Scarlette McCullough, Mari, Imani Boggan and Windy Margerum stepped it up, and qualified to MOC.
- The girls 4×400 relay qualified with 4:07.18. Emily Sverak, Annie Klopstock, Imani Boggan and Mari Florine
- Windy Margerum scored 22 ½ of our 39 points finishing 1st in LJ, 1st in hurdles, 4th in 100 with a PR 12.51, and anchored the 4 x 100.
- Carson Etnyre ran a PR 50.05 in finished 4th in the 400
- Scarlette McCullough ran a PR in the 200 with a 26.88. This is the third week in a row Scarlette has improved her 200 time.
- Ethan Westemeier won the TJ with a 46’7.50 and a PR. This is the second week in a row that Ethan has improved. Ethan also qualified in the HJ at 6’1, but will drop that event at MOC.
- Johnny Choi finished 10th in high jump.
- Ryan Nall broke the 50 foot barrier with a 50’3” put in the shot put, Ryan also qualified in the discus with a 145’ 10 throw.
- Anna Weier qualified in the discus with a throw of 103-5 and it was her best throw of the year (PR)
- Mila Mathias and Isabel Rasmussen both jumped 4’9, both freshmen and it was a PR for Mila. What makes this important is this was their first real important meet and they both did not fold to the pressure of the meet.
- Mari Florine PR’d in pole vault with a 9’ 8” vault
- Maddy Kalil put the shot 28’ 6 ¾ for a PR
- Jesse Iniguez-Stralla finished 4th place in the 100 with 11.03 and 8th in the 200 with 22.56
- Imani Boggan finished 3rd in the 800 with 2:17.23
Head Track and Field Coach/Instructional Assistant
Acalanes High School